Emerging from history’s sixth largest bankruptcy, United Airlines needed to continue engaging frontline leaders and ensure that employees were receiving messages that would promote future success.
United undertook a Leadership Communications Skill Training program, successfully reaching over 900 leaders. The program promoted effective two-way communications with employees while reinforcing United’s journey towards continuous improvement and achieving organizational excellence.
- Enhance the communication skills of managers and supervisors to continue sharing pertinent information, both operational and business oriented, to employees in a
high-pressure and dynamic work environment.
- Reinforce future expectations of United’s frontline leadership in a performance-based culture so that employees feel engaged and connected to the organization as a whole.
- Designed leader training that provided valuable ideas and strategies which were applicable to daily interactions with employees. Specifically:
- Helped leaders understand the future expectations of United’s front line in a performance-based culture through the power of messaging.
- Encouraged leaders to “own” United’s strategy, but convey it in their own words.
- Dispatched 14 Gagen MacDonald facilitators to United locations.
- Provided general coaching and communication support.
- Trained more than 900 frontline leaders over a three-month period to:
- Effectively engage in two-way dialogue with employees and help them connect to the larger organization’s mission, goals and values.
- Tailor communications to create linkage between day-to-day activities
and business outcomes.