A leading pharmaceutical company has for over 100 years committed itself to caring for people. That commitment is the motivating force that calls the company’s employees to action each day. However, after years of obstacles including layoffs, recalls and quality issues, the company experienced a decline in employee engagement, agreement around company strategy and future vision, and strong leadership and talent development.
We helped them develop and roll out a set of leadership behaviors to reaffirm reputation and accelerate the pace of innovation within the organization to drive business results.
- Established a new set of leadership behaviors to enhance employee talent development and leaders’ understanding of their role in the achievement of the overall business strategy.
- Developed an enterprise-wide model that highlights four specific behaviors.
- Created a robust program in which leaders received training that they then shared with their teams. Elements included a journey map, leader maps that served as facilitator guides and personal story development exercises.
- Ensured that every employee receives leadership training and fully understands and incorporates the prescribed behaviors into their day-to-day work.
The company’s recent global employee pulse surveys show:
- More than a 10 percent spike in agreement with statements such as:
- Has a clear vision for the future.
- Strong and committed management.
- Actively develops leadership and talent.
- More than 5 percent spikes in agreement with statements such as:
- Values its employees.
- Is a company that cares.
In addition, 9 out of 10 respondents reported that they understand their role at the company, with 8 out of 10 affirming their ability to take action.