Episode discussion guide – Systems Start with Self
Continue the conversation with others, or take the time for personal reflection, using the below episode discussion guide.
- At Nike, Darcy was told she committed career suicide when she went from a role with a big budget and big team to an individual role with no budget and no team. How did she define success in her new parameters?
- Make two lists: one for how you define your job and one for how you define your work. How much of your identity is tied to your job versus your work?
- Reflect on one of your last problem solving sessions. If you had asked “what could we create?” instead of “how can we solve this?” would your outcome have changed? How?
- Is your organization complex or complicated? Can shared leadership exist in a “complicated” world?
- Darcy trains for a new sport every year, which informs her work in systems thinking. What passions or rituals do you have that make you uniquely suited to the work you so every day?
- Think of a time when one of your mental models or beliefs got in your way. Why? What will you do next time this happens?