Advising on global realignment communication for company’s path forward
To become the global leader in helping patients with rare diseases, Alexion Pharmaceuticals’ new leadership team boldly decided to alter the path of the company and shift resources to significantly invest in discovery research. This path forward encompassed new organizational structures, new ways of working, shared service outsourcing and the physical moving of the corporate HQ — all without compromising Alexion’s strong patient-centered culture.
The company’s Chief Communication Officer, in alignment with its Head of Culture, needed a partner who could provide strategic advisement in the development and implementation of an integrated communications plan for employees, company leaders, investors, government officials and media.
- Developed and supported execution of a comprehensive communications plan — impacting internal and external audiences — for announcing company’s global realignment actions, and advised, prepped and equipped the CEO, Executive Committee leaders and site leaders to effectively communicate key messages
- Led co-creation of Alexion path forward strategic narrative and supporting messaging
- Provided communications and community-building expertise for managing Alexion’s announcement of headquarters relocation from New Haven, Connecticut to Boston, Massachusetts
- Past change communications efforts were delivered in an “on-the-fly” or ad-hoc manner and the messages were isolated from the broader strategy. At times, news did not effectively reach the relevant employee populations. This new announcement ensured delivery of both enterprise-wide integrated messaging and highly-targeted geographic and departmental information. The right people heard the right news from the appropriate leader
- Company leadership stated the communications activities mitigated overall negative impacts
- Employees generally understood the business rationale — communicated in the path forward strategic narrative — for announcement and actions (from the post-announcement pulse check)
- Employees appreciated the communication focus provided by company and by leaders (from the post-announcement pulse check)
- Executives were fully prepared and personally invested in their roles as messengers — both for the enterprise-wide changes and their own team impact